Novedades VOD brings you the best new releases of the week on Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime Video… And if you’re a little tired of the heat… Die Again, it’s never in vain.
Starting with the weekly review, then, with Amazon Prime Video, which not only takes the header of the section with Die Again, but does it Netflix style, grabbing the most interesting exclusive releases of the week.
Die Again, random translation of the original Boss Level, however, is not an Amazon Studios original film, but a Hulu original, although Hulu has sold its international distribution to the platform we’re talking about. What is Die Again about? Let’s just say it’s your typical action movie with a sci-fi twist where the hapless protagonist has to do it all over again until he gets it right… and never better.
The protagonist of Die Again is Frank Grillo(Avengers, Captain America), who is surrounded by a powerful cast with names like Mel Gibson and Naomi Watts. His story, relive again and again the day of his death, and no matter what he does, because there are many willing to kill him in the most bloodthirsty and unscrupulous ways in which it is necessary.
Die Again is a Groundhog Day(Trapped in Time) in video game hitman key, although the tone of the film the simile would be more in things like Edge of Tomorrow, without reaching its level, but with the incentive to work almost as if it were a title machacabotones and with small comic moments -especially those of the deaths- style.
Die Again is nothing to write home about, but at least it’s entertaining and most of the time that’s enough. Press Start!
S.O.Z. Soldados o Zombies is… yes: a new zombie series, this one an Amazon original. A Mexican production with more passion than results, but pretty good for what you might expect, considering it’s a third-rate product. The most curious thing is that at the front of the play, playing a dangerous Mexican narco, is the Spanish Sergio Peris-Mencheta, a great actor … although these things, very common on the Anglo-Saxon stage, still sound strange in these parts (and I imagine for those too). It’s crappy, but if you like zombies…
Hasta el horizonte is sold as an Amazon ‘original’, although it isn’t either: like so many others, the company bought it at a bargain price after, massacred by the few critics who took it into account, it crashed in cinemas last year… and never better said, it bears repeating, as we’re talking about a kind of action thriller in which the most important thing is to keep the plane in the air. For more details, the trailer.
<iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/MBY5IRCq52I” width=”100%” height=”422″ frameborder=”0″>
Same story for Cruel Summer, with exceptions. In this case it’s a thriller series that in other countries can be seen through Hulu, but that Amazon has as an original. Its plot, one of American teenagers in which the town’s ugly duckling takes the place of the most popular girl, kidnapped under mysterious circumstances.
More exclusive content:
- Afloat (Head Above Water) (T1). “We learn what life is like for Olympic swimmers from reigning champion Kyle Chalmers, two-time Olympian Bronte Campbell, retired Olympic hero Ian Thorpe and Olympic hopeful and global superstar musician Cody Simpson.”
- Gabrielle’s Dream
- Jack Hunter and the search for Akhenaten’s tomb.
- Preacher (T4)
- Shy Anonymous
Netflix continues in its line, which is to offer very diverse content for all tastes and audiences, but with the right quality, as always, with exceptions.
The most outstanding release of the week on Netflix is Vivo, an animated film by Sony Pictures Animation with a contemporary Latin spirit, that is, Hispanic American, in which the Cuban accent is the protagonist, and the truth is that it is nice that this type of productions flee from time to time from the Spanish and Castilian ‘neutral’. For the rest, it’s just a typical story with a funny critter in the middle.
More exclusive contents:
- Cocaine Cowboys: The Kings of Miami (T1). “Two childhood friends go from high school dropouts to Miami’s most powerful drug kingpins in this true story of a criminal saga that spanned decades.”
- Control Z (T2). “Sofia, an asocial but observant girl, tries to figure out who the hacker is who is airing student secrets all over the school.”
- From Scrapyard to Glory (T3). “The motley crew at Gotham Garage sifts through an eclectic collection of cars and manages to get their hands on a spectacular piece that they can sell for big bucks.”
- In the Kitchen with Paris Hilton (T1). “Paris Hilton proves that anyone can cook and makes every recipe her own in this unique cooking show where fun is always the main course.”
- Hit & Run (T1). “A man trying to uncover the truth about his wife’s death becomes entangled in a dangerous web of secrets and intrigue that stretches from New York to Tel Aviv.”
- Nigeria, 1976. “A pregnant woman’s life takes a radical turn when her husband is accused of involvement in an attempted coup. Inspired by true events.”
- Nine Emotions (T1). “From amusement to awe, this anthology explores nine human emotions as defined by Indian aesthetic theory.”
- UFOs: Top Secret Projects declassif.icados (T1). “Stories of alien encounters have always been denied, but for many people the existence of UFOs is not just a probability, but a certainty.”
- Pray Away: Pray Away and You’ll Stop Being Gay. “Former leaders and a survivor of the infamous “conversion therapy” movement speak out about the damage it caused to the LGBTQ+ community and its devastating effects.”
- Shiny_Flakes: The Teen Cybernarc. “Max S. tells how he founded a drug empire as just a teenager in the true story that inspired the series ‘How to Sell Drugs Online (Full Pill)’.”
- Below Deck in the Mediterranean (T1-T2)
- Better Call Saul (T5)
- Blade Runner 2049
- Creed: The Legend of Rocky
- The Inferno
- Time Won’t Wait
- In Search of Happiness
- Ijé: The Journey
- The Addams Family
- Grace’s Possession
- The Two Faces of Truth
- The Smurfs
- Deadly Move
- The Living Dead (Catacombs)
- Paul Blart: Mall Super Cop
- Penguin Highway: The Penguin Mystery
- Back to Blue Lake
- Sherlock Gnomes
- Seven Wishes
- Spy Kids
- Spy Kids 2: Island of Lost Dreams
- Star Trek
- Star Trek: Beyond
- A New Millionaire
- World Trade Center
- Young Adult
Apple TV+ premieres a new original series this week. We’re talking about…
Mr. Corman, or the umpteenth series about the 30-something, almost 40-something, in the midst of an existential crisis. Male in this case, but it’s business as usual, as most of the specialized critics who have already seen the first two episodes of Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s(Inception, Snowden) new work are noting.
- Home Before Dark (T2)
- Physical (T1)
- Schmigadoon! (T1)
- Ted Lasso (T2)
HBO brings a couple of documentaries without too much interest and a few classic movies so that the lack of major new releases isn’t so noticeable.
More exclusive content:
- Broadcasting from the Nevada Desert (T1). “Documentary series that shows the ins and outs of life at a private TV station in the small desert town of Pahrump (Nevada) and features a series of quirky characters both in front of and behind the cameras.”
- Obama: For a Better America (Miniseries). “Three-episode HBO documentary chronicling the personal and political journey of President Barack Obama as America grapples with its history with racism.”
- Dave (T2)
- Mr Inbetween (T3)
- Roswell, New Mexico (T3)
- The White Lotus (T1)
- Asterix: The Secret of the Magic Potion
- Category 5: Infernal Cyclogenesis
- Love in the Time of Cholera
- The Accountant
- The Fat Man and the Skinny (Stan & Ollie)
- The Most Wanted Man
- Mary Reilly’s Secret
- IT. Chapter 2
- Sheep don’t miss the train
- The Freaks
- The Hunger Games
- Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein
- Operation: Hurricane
- Who Killed Bambi?
And Disney+… Lucky it has National Geogrpahic as a partner, otherwise it…
More exclusive content:
- Walt Disney Animation Studios: Experimental Short Circuit (T2). “If you could tell any story with the great team of artists at Walt Disney Animation Studios, what would you create?”
- The Mysterious Benedict Society (T1).
- The Simpsons (T32)
- Marvel’s M.O.D.O.K (T1)
- Monsters at work (T1)
- Partners and Hounds (T1)
- Apocalypse: The First World War
- Apollo: Return to the Moon
- North Korea with Michael Palin
- North Korea: past, present and future
- The Coming (T11)
- The 2000s
- The 80s
- The 90’s
- Spanish Movie
- Grizzly Territory
- The Killing (T4)
- An Exceptional Gift
- When Sharks Attack (T6)